College Counseling Services
Are you overwhelmed by the more than 3,000 colleges and universities to choose among?
Are college athletic coaches recruiting your daughter but you are not sure the colleges are the right academic and social fit?
Are you concerned that your son's learning difference may require some support services, but you're not sure how to evaluate them?
You are not alone! The ever-changing college application process is challenging and can seem overwhelming, but help is readily available.
Since 2002, I have helped families navigate the transition-to-college process. I ensure my clients apply to colleges that will be a good fit socially, academically, and financially and that the school's academic offerings are aligned with the student's learning style and goals. By focusing on fit, I make sure my clients attend colleges where they can thrive, graduate in four years, and obtain meaningful employment.
As a Certified Educational Planner specializing in college counseling, I make the college application process easier for families who feel they don't have the time or the expertise to successfully manage and work through the college admissions process and to ensure a positive outcome.
I go beyond providing guidance. I get to know students and their families in order to gain a sense of their concerns and expectations. Over the past fourteen years, I have worked with a range of students, including high achieving students applying to competitive universities, colleges, athletes, and students with learning differences. I am proud of their college acceptances.
My wealth of experience is an advantage as I assist families in navigating the college admissions process, while at the same time alleviating the stress families sometimes experience when faced with this challenge.
I have visited and evaluated more than 50 colleges nationwide to assess their strengths in different academic fields, gain an understanding of their unique personalities, and determine what types of students will thrive there.
I am one of only 200 Certified Educational Planners, the highest designation in the field of educational consulting, and a Professional Member of the Independent Educational Consultants Association. I attended its Summer Institute for college counseling in 2006 and attend conferences and seminars on a regular basis. I also adhere to the IECA and American Institute of Certified Educational Planners' ethical guidelines. I earned a B.A. from Smith College and a Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. I has worked at Penn and Haverford College.
My college counseling services are available in two packages that students can start any time between the beginning of sophomore year and the beginning of senior year. My team and I specialize in college essays.
My Guidance Includes:
- Evaluation of student's record, including high school transcript, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, athletic activities, and special talents.
- In depth interviews of student and family in order to develop overall strategy for the application process.
- Guidance through the entire college admissions process, including discussion of standardized tests, testing options, application deadlines, financial and merit aid.
- Recommendations for course selection and extra-curricular activities for 10th-12th grades
- Administration of aptitude and interests assessment and discussion of potential majors and careers.
- Creation of a list of “perfect fit” colleges for the student to research and visit.
- Advice on how to conduct meaningful college visits, including interview preparation.
- Assistance in compiling a final list of schools, with varying degrees of admission difficulty, to which the student will apply.
- Discussion of early application versus regular application options.
- Assistance with preparation of activity list or resume and selection of recommendation letter writers.
- Extensive help with essay writing, including topic development, critique, and proofreading.
- Assistance with application preparation, including organizational assistance, time and stress management, and application strategies.
- Guidance in making a final decision concerning which college to attend.
- Strategies for deferral, wait-list or appeals processes, if necessary.
- Offering support and structure for the family.